Assuming gstreamer is properly installed on the raspberry pi, the following command can be used to play back an avi video with h264 encoding. It does not include audio playback.
gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=test.avi ! avidemux ! h264parse ! omxh264dec ! autovideoconvert ! eglglessink
- filesrc: the video source, for stdin use
- avidemux: demux audio and video
- h264parse: links the demuxer and the decoder
- omxh264dec: decode h264 on the raspis video hardware
- autovideoconvert: not always needed, converts to an appropriate colorformat and scales
- eglglessink: currently recommended video sink on the raspi (experiment with